Enjoy these great activities designed for kids (or those who are kids at heart)!
Whale bones & touch tanks:
- Discover the nearshore habitats of the Salish Sea in the Port Townsend Marine Science Center’s aquarium on the pier featuring local fish and invertebrate species. View plankton through a microscope! Touch an anemone! Then, head over to the museum to learn the compelling story of an orca named Hope, one of only six fully articulated orca whale skeletons on display in the United States. Engage with interactive displays and videos that explore the human impact on the Salish Sea eco-system.
More information and seasonal hours at ptmsc.org.
Let the inner artist run wild:
- Get creative at our onsite art school, the Port Townsend School of the Arts. From monthly specialty classes to the donation based Bunker program, come experiment with acrylics, oils, watercolor, collage, fiber arts, mixed media and more. Let your creative juices flow in a safe and fun environment for teens and young adults to explore and make art with the support of knowledgeable artist-mentors.
More information on offerings at ptschoolofthearts.org.
Breathe it all in:
- Kick start your day with a yoga, pilates, or a nia class at our conveniently located onsite movement & massage studio Madrona MindBody. Come, dance, smile, play, let go… and watch your spirit soar. Recommended for ages 12+.
More information and seasonal hours at madronamindbody.com.
- Play hide & seek or climb around in one of our turn of the century bunkers. Bring binoculars and wait for an eagle sighting or hunt for a Geocache site with friends! Bonus points for bringing a picnic, just remember to leave it better than you found it, please tow out all garbage and help keep our beautiful park clean.
More information on guided history & nature walks at coastartillery.org & fwfriends.org.
Paddle, cycle & play:
- Fort Worden State Park provides miles of beaches and hiking trails along with tennis, petanque, and bocce courts, and croquet and horseshoes. Stop by the Front Desk at the Commons to inquire about borrowing lawn games free of charge for overnight guests. Seasonal hours allowing – rent a bicycle, paddleboard or kayak at Port Townsend Paddlesports – located by the pier at the beach.
More information and seasonal hours at ptpaddlesports.com.
Watch for orcas, otters & more:
- Cruise around Discovery Bay, Point Wilson Light House and Protection Island for sightseeing and wildlife viewing on the Puget Sound Express.
More information and seasonal hours at pugetsoundexpress.com.